Wednesday, February 14, 2007

No Gays Allowed On My Team!


While there have been some interesting comments thus far regarding the admission by John Amaechi that he is in fact a homosexual. The latest by former NBA player Tim Hardaway certainly takes first prize at the republican bigot national convention. Hardaway who was making the media rounds today representing the "NBA Cares" for an upcoming project over all-star weekend appeared on the Dan Le Batard show in Miami. His interview was almost over but Dan wanted to ask him one last question. How would Tim deal with a gay teammate?

"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team," Hardaway replied. "And second of all, if he was on my team, I would really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room. But stuff like that is going on and there's a lot of other people I hear that are like that and still in the closet and don't want to come out of the closet, but you know I just leave that alone."

It gets even better folks, when Dan asked him what he would do if he had a gay teammate Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be traded or bought out of his contract. This is by far one of the most asinine things I have ever heard in my life. I found it particularly surprising considering I had only a little while before seen Tim interviewed on ESPNews. During that particular interview Tim seemed to be doing a good job of promoting what the NBA would be doing this weekend. I will not be explaining what that is as Tim doesn't deserve any positive publicity regardless of what their doing this weekend. Dan obviously caught him off guard as ESPN did not ask him anything about Amaechi, it is possible of course he asked them not to. He has in the last hour or so apologized for his comments, but if you hear the audio its pretty clear he meant everything he said. He responded with exactly what he thought on the subject and retracting the statement at this point isn't going to change that. He should have asked Jim Mora about making comments on radio shows they get around fast no matter what show it is. Le Batard's show I would imagine is pretty big though considering he's on ESPN all the time. Congratulation's to Tim Hardaway, he just made Shavlik Randolph looks like a nice and accepting guy.

To see the rest of Tim's comments visit The San Jose Mercury News' article hear.

Hear Tim's comments here. Its under Motion in the box on the right side of the page.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker